SEO Agency Link Building Methods for Beginners
Mar 02, 2020
Many things affect your ranking on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP). If you have been researching SEO, or if you are a professional from an SEO Agency, then you know that ranking high on the SERP can significantly boost business for your website or your client’s business. You will hear the words “backlink” or “backlinking” a lot when you are working with Search Engine Optimisation.
Bloggers who are just starting out, beginner SEO specialists, and most clients often have difficulties understanding what the term “backlink” is or what it is for. If you fall under any of these categories, or if you want to help someone understand what backlinking is all about, then you are in the right place!
The goal of this article is to discuss why backlinks are SEO essentials, why you need them for online success, how to analyse your competitors’ backlinks, and how to get them for your site.
Common SEO Agency Backlinking Terms
So, backlinks are basically incoming links to a specific website. So if you see webpage links linking to other pages, they are called backlinks. Back in the day, backlinks were considered as the primary metric for the ranking of a webpage. This means that pages with a lot of backlinks tended to rank higher on search engines. Although there are many changes to search engine algorithms nowadays, backlinks still play an important role in a website’s ranking.
Before we get started, you must familiarise yourself with some of the common backlinking terms used by SEO professionals on the job. Here are some of the words that you should know:
- Link Juice – As you know, you need to push out fresh content to stay on top of your SEO game. When other pages or websites link one of your articles or your homepage to their content, this passes something that we call “link juice”. Link juice helps with the ranking of the article while also improving the domain authority. You can stop passing link juice by using a no-follow tag.
- No-Follow Link – As mentioned previously, there is an option for you to stop passing link juice. So, when a website links to another website but has a no-follow tag, it is a no-follow link. These do not really contribute anything. You can use the no-follow tag when you are not confident about a website that you are linking on your content.
- Do-Follow Link – These are links that pass link juice. Unless you set a no-follow tag, all links that you add to your page or blog posts are do-follow links by default. Linking Root Domains – This term refers to the number of backlinks coming into your website from a unique domain. Take note that even if a website links to your blog post multiple times, it will only be considered as one linked root domain.
- Low-Quality Links – These types of links could cause your website more harm than good. As the name suggests, low-quality links are links that come from questionable pages, including harvested sites, automated sites, spam sites, or even porn sites. So if you are planning to buy some backlinks, make sure that you look out for these kinds of links. Internal Links – This kind of link goes from one page to another within the same domain. For example, if you link your services pages on your homepage, then it is considered internal linking or internal linking.
- Anchor Text – An anchor text is used for hyperlinks. Anchor texts are useful when you are targeting a specific set of keywords.
New Link Building Tactics to Try for Your Website
In our previous post, we have discussed how SEO agencies create high-quality linkable content. This time, we will discuss how to put these content to good use. We will also tackle how to do backlinking right.
It takes skills and hard work to cultivate natural citations without asking or begging for them. It is actually outside of the link building mainstream. But that does not have to be the case. Here are five things that can help you backlink without the tedious link building outreach:
1. Use advertising.
You can create and use advertisements to spread awareness about a website. By letting more people know that you exist, you will be getting a lot of ranking benefits.
John Mueller gave out some advice regarding backlinking involving promotions. He said: “So basically on the one hand that involves some amount of self-promotion from your side like you have to get some people to come and visit your website somehow so that they can recognise that this is actually a good website.
And there are lots of ways that you can do that. And then that also involves one of those people or some of those people going well, this is a really fantastic website, and I have another website that I can link… from where I can link to your website.
So it’s not the case that every visitor coming to your website will say it’s a fantastic website and I also have a website and let me link to your website from my website, but some of these people they can.”
So based on this, what kind of advertising is good for promoting your website? That would be PPC advertising. It is a great way to bring attention to useful content. You can use Google AdWords for this. However, you need to be careful as some advertising networks can be prone to click bot activity. Clickbot ad networks can result in paying for non-existent traffic.
2. Utilise social media platforms.
Pretty much everyone is on social media platforms nowadays. Since this is the case, it is an effective way to build traffic, awareness, and sales into your website. One of the best ways to go about this is to get in touch with popular content creators on social media, also known as influencers.
This does not necessarily mean paying them (you can if you have the funds for it), but making influencers enthusiastic about your products and services would work too. Influencers have a strong pull on their audience, so if they link to your website or article in one of their posts, it is going to do wonders for your page.
3. Attending public speaking and industry events.
This involves some fieldwork since you need to go to an event and meet people in person. This is a kind of connection that you cannot do behind your computer screen.
Attending conferences and events associated with your industry or your client’s industry can help you cultivate relationships with people in different niches. You will have more material for your content in the form of custom quotes from speakers’ speeches. This is leveraging someone else’s popularity to gain traffic and awareness. There is also an implicit endorsement of your site involved.
When attending these events, you should pay attention and ask some questions. Let everyone feel that you are interested in what they have to say about their craft and expertise. On top of learning more about different niches, you are also building connections. If you are confident enough, you can also try being a speaker yourself so that other people can quote YOU and link to your content.
4. Try podcasting.
Podcasting is currently a trend, and it is growing more popular every day. Due to the popularity of streaming services like Spotify, people have more opportunity to listen to podcasts. This also opens up opportunities for content creators and experts to share their insights on topics related to their field.
Trying podcasting works two ways. You can seize an opportunity to be interviewed by a podcaster, or you can start a podcast yourself. Of course, the first option will work better since the podcaster would most likely have a certain amount of followers at this point. So, if given a chance to be a part of a podcast episode, take it! This opportunity can result in a link from the podcaster, and it also spreads awareness about your website.
5. Building relationships with similar industries.
Not everyone with the same audience as you is a competitor. For example, if you are running a kid’s apparel business, you would more or less have a similar target audience as a toy company. You are not selling the same products or services, so collaborating should not be an issue.
Link prospects are more open to linking to your site if you are connected to their companions. You can establish a connection through social media, endorsements, and testimonials. You can go the extra mile and create an article on an industry website. Make sure that you publish articles that do not contain spammy links to make your way to be a part of the community you want a link from.
Building connections is not really new, but there are new ways of doing it. You can build a community and a newsletter group related to a specific product. You can offer freebies like templates and how-to articles, which can attract subscribers.
Normally the process involves people who are expecting something in return. However, it is better if you can foster a situation where you can create something to build relationships. This allows you to gain favour with the group that you want to be a part of.
The Final Takeaway
There are many other ways an SEO agency can establish authority, cultivate traffic, and make your site rank high. However, some methods require more steps than the other. The five ways in this article avoid manual actions. These methods attract links that are natural and not arranged. Everything worth having takes effort.